Wednesday 16 February 2011

Early Spring?

The snowy header has finally been put away but expect to see it again next year because it is one of my favourites, describing perfectly the place where I live. As do the hills and woods and fields and flowers...I should set up a gallery page to keep the pics I have used. This winter has brought real snow, hoary frosts and recently three long days of howling wind but in the main it has been mild and wet and it now feels like spring. The blossom is appearing earlier than ever on my English Cherry but further snow would not be a great surprise especially now that I have a new Spring header! I really should spend more time in the garden:snowdrops and crocuses are in flower, the daffodils are half way there and hellebores drip limpid green in the soft rain.  Unfortunately the bantams are very attracted to both crocus and to iris shoots which are already looking henpecked. Every day now I am checking the coop anticipating a new laying season and feeling a little guilty that I don't get up earlier to give them a full quota of daylight. We have had leeks all winter but I was late putting in the parsnips and a third lot of beetroot and I am keen to see what is going on beneath the surface - the winter leaves are not giving a lot away! And soon it will be time to plant the bed again, and then, and then and then.....         


No comments:

Post a Comment