Monday 26 October 2009

Soooo hard....

...to keep blogging! but the Indian Summer continues, thankyou God!


August was sooo wet and DULL, I didn't think I could bear the Autumn coming but this is the eighth week of still, mostly warm, mostly sunny weather and even now that the clocks have gone back - dark at 5.30 p.m. - today was lovely. Went to the reservoirs with the boys and it was like being on the beach, the water was the lowest I've ever seen it. Found a dead pike, v scary and smelly.

I was there the other evening and there was a great commotion among the ash trees to the west of Startops. Having seen flocks of naturalised Ringnecked Parakeets as close by as Bury Lake, and Cassiobury Park, I thought at first thatparakeets had reached Tring, but on checking http://birdingtringreservoirs.blogspot.com/ it seems much more likely that they were jackdaws roosting! Follow the link to a really dedicated twitcher who seems to know all there is to know about birds in Herts, Beds & bucks. I hear that the parakeets - which I love for their beautiful colour, streamlined shape, excited clamouring cries and overall exoticism - are a threat to owls, woodpeckers and other natives by inhabiting sought after holes in trees. A real shame but I can't help hoping they are here to stay.

Recently seen: Hurt Locker ***, Broken Embraces ***, Dorian Gray hmmmm **, and The Time Travellers Wife - I loved the book but sadly *. But 500 Days of Summer - I loved it and have just bought the soundtrack, catch it if you can.

The books haven't been so great recently, the last good one being 'Home' by Marilynne Robinson, as good as her Housekeeping, but really, don't bother with her much trumpeted Gilead unless you are desperately ecclesiastical. And although I really rated Patrick Gale's Notes From An Exhibition as probably my best read last year, his The Whole Day Through was disappointing even though I couldn't put it down.

So now the dark nights are back how long until my next post? And any tips for keeping warm sailing on cooler (bloody cold) days? In this very still weather I have graduated to a Laser with no recent capsizes. I find the combination of mesmerising ripples, sudden gusts and long afternoons outdoors to be just what the doctor ordered but am not sure I can keep it up over the winter.....

While on dark nights, I slowed down on the way home tonight to allow a very dapper young badger to cross the road which was so much nicer than the several knocked over ones seen in the past few weeks. Apparently the lack of rain would encourage them to forage further afield and therefore cross more roads, so please watch out and give way to badgers.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for reading my blog and for linking to it. I've just found yours and I love it. Can't wait to read more. Yours is quite a tonic for my homesickness!

    Miss W x

    ReplyDelete