Thursday 12 November 2009

Bring on the girls!

FISHTANK - weird name for a film and I never quite worked that bit out .......I wasn't going to get seats for this film but the girl at the ticket kiosk said "Jane has just seen it and says it is the best film she has seen this year, so I did. On the night I did a quick google (don't, save that for later) and I would have been put off; I didn't feel I could face 'gritty' on a cold, wet November night, but I had made a date with a girl friend so we went. I confessed on the way so we had a drink first.



We loved the film. There were a few shocks and brilliantly built up suspense and a no holds barred view of Essex life and an absolutely compelling lead. Writer and director Andrea Arnold discovered her real life heroine at a train station "on one platform with her boyfriend on another platform, giving him grief." She says Katie Jarvis is for real. She dominates the camera and drives the narrative; the effect is mesmerising. Whether she is 'acting' or not she won the Edinburgh Festival Film award for Best British Performance this year and Fishtank won the Cannes Jury prize. Just see it!



New favourite website - Saltwater - yummy clothes only a tad too expensive, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment