Sunday 1 November 2009

Yummmm!

Sailed yesterday and walked in the woods this afternoon, bulgy little camera (blc) in pocket. I am quite happy with this shot, probably the most photographed spot in Ashridge but especially for Miss Whistle. Earlier we had forayed for sweet chestnuts, now roasted and eaten. Wild food always tastes good; on Friday it was overripe-to-perfect damsons and the blackberries are only just over after an epic season as autumn went on and on. Found some pretty pink mushrooms which look to be Russula Nitida as described and 'most commonly found in birch woods'. They looked quite tasty but my book is a bit ambiguous 'The best way to decide whether or not Russula is edible is to taste a small piece of the uncooked flesh. Only those with a mild or bland taste should be used.' Or not!

My other taste of autumn is Russet apples. I have loved them since I was a child and most especially since I read Little Women, aged 10. You might remember that Jo used to munch them in her writing den in the attic, which gave them huge kudos for me. My other favourite apples were both grown in our garden at home - Beauty of Bath and Coxes Orange Pippins - so first loves really. On stories, my sister reminded me of my great love for pomegranites which I had a real fad for as a teenager, completely based on the story of Persephone in the underworld. So this was my tea today - the Marmite rice cakes are very tasty and very good for you and virtually no calories at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment