Saturday 13 November 2010

streets of London

Spent the day around Regents Park and Little Venice. In all the years I had never walked west from Regents Park and after a gloomy stretch of canal found the picturesque village around the basin where film stars mingle with boat dwellers. Ate fabulous baked orange cheesecake in a tiny cafe right over the water, followed only hours later by Lebanese supper and is was ok because we walked, walked, walked from noon until after dark. Beautiful Georgian townhouses and in the back streets behind Marylebone every sort of business and building including one amazing fascade supported by scaffolding as the entire rest of the building is rebuilt. I did a bit of research into this incredible piece of engineering/architecture and found that it is part of the old Middlesex Hospital, part of the ill fated Noho Square development with a fascinating story behind it. The Lost Hospitals of London website tells the story... incredibly, even the drainpipes are left in place as the site awaits development.
It was good to be in the noisy, busy city again but even better to come home to the peace and quiet of the country. I 've realised lately that I've been struggling to turn off and learn to be quiet again. Once upon a time I could meditate but now my mind jangles day and night. I am looking for a retreat....

No comments:

Post a Comment