Wednesday 4 April 2012

A bigger picture


The queues were around the block for the last week of David Hockney's A Bigger Picture at the R.A. I've read all the reviews and some are harsh: this is without doubt the best exhibition I have ever seen or am likely to see. I took my husband and then my grandson; my daughter is going today. Sam asked (as I raved on) why I didn't take 'my whole school' and I wish I'd had the forethought. They will have to make do with digital images and the book and a day painting in Ashridge. I love the Fauvist palette, the mark making, the grandeur, the technology. I've always liked Hockney: etchings, pools, California landscapes, the Grand Canyon, but I hadn't realised how it all fitted together before. In close up the marks and motifs have been perfected while standing back the perspective, pattern and dynamic come into play. I was swept away.                                
 

No comments:

Post a Comment