Sunday 5 December 2010

lemon curd

I waited all week for a daylight walk in the snow but last night the rains came and it was all but washed away. Today being warmer we did a tidy up in the garden instead and even put in a few last minute bulbs - lots of narcissus to look forward to from February and alliums for later on - I can't wait! The bulbs I planted in October are already peeping through so I'm hoping that a week of minus temperatures has put them on hold rather than finished them off completely.
Putting up 'the lights' was as traumatic as every year and now they are on hold for a few days too. Then I had the good idea of putting an extra layer of insulation in the loft which mysteriously led to a damaged pipe, fused lights and a damp patch on the landing ceiling, so no money saved there. Serves me right for not doing it myself........
So, some cooking for the soul. Lemon curd -  smelling of summer at Christmas, glossy after an hour of stirring, infusing the house (and my hair) with citrus, the shining jars cooling on the kitchen window sill. As I stirred I listened to the fabulous 'I Claudius' on Radio 4.

my lemon curd recipe
put 8oz butter in a preserving pan and melt gently.
add 24 oz caster sugar (I keep a vanilla pod in the jar)
and the zest and juice of 9 lemons.
Stir for ages until the sugar is completely dissolved, then cool until you can leave your finger in it comfortably.
Meanwhile whisk 8 eggs in a bowl and when the mixture is comfortable whisk them in.
Then stir constantly as you raise the temperature. It should still never get too hot for your finger.
As you gradually raise the heat the curd will thicken like custard and when it coats the back of a spoon quite stickily it is ready to ladle into warmed jars.
Pop a wax disc on top and tighten the lid. Store in a cool place and try not to eat all at once!
I always feel a little queasy after lemon curd making as it is hard not to taste it often. Some people strain it but I like to nibble on the zest. This made 4 jars and a little one and it is Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment