Monday 27 December 2010

White Christmas

 A wonderful white Christmas! I caught a virus Christmas shopping and was offline for over a week. What with the snow, camp fever set in and by the 23rd I was painting skirting boards and door frames!
Having voraciously read The Other Queen by Phillippa Gregory - I was swept away by the enigma that was Mary Queen of Scots - and The Help by Kathryn Stockett - paradoxical relationships in 1960s southern states - I am now catching up with Jackson Brodie in Kate Atkinson's 4th genre bending crime novel. The snow has become a regular feature of the landscape now and I will be sad if it melts away tomorrow as predicted. Lots of long, gluteus enhancing walks and today sledging in the Golden Valley. Yesterday I glanced up from my book to check the clock at 4 ish and I swear it is getting noticeably lighter in the evenings. A bit of internet research tells me that this close to the winter solstice it is only by seconds a day but that the rate speeds up as we near the spring equinox due to Earth's elliptical orbit of the sun. However it has been good to emerge from the grey fog, have some bright days and, I still swear, lighter afternoons. We have had some beautiful Blakeian light with pink skies and snows, see my pics, and though not captured on camera I was rewarded on my way to midnight mass on Christmas eve by the sight of a beautiful fox rolling in the snow on the roadside as I drove past totally unfazed by the headlights as I slowed down for a better look!



No comments:

Post a Comment