Thursday 4 June 2009

YUMMY STRAWBERRY TRIFLE

I love trifles and make them quite opportunistically with whatever comes to hand. The liqueurs are usually gifts or souvenirs that have lain in the cupboard for a while. I always make a Christmas trifle which is especially good for Boxing day breakfast but this is a nice summer one. I've made it twice recently - it is easy peasy and it's been a big hit!

I don't usually weigh stuff when I'm cooking, and in this recipe you can put in more of your favourite ingredients or adapt it to suit your store cupboard and your taste.

Slice some nice ripe strawbs into the bottom of a bowl - glass looks nice on the table. Cover with a layer of Amaretti biscotti - those crunchy little Italian biscuits that taste of almonds but are actually made with apricot kernels. Over the top pour a generous amount of Disarrono. This is a liqueur also made from apricot kernels; if you like almonds you will love this! Mix strawberry jelly - you can use any sort , low cal or veggie, and as much or little as you like. Pour over and put in the fridge to set - a few hours. When it is set cover with bought or made custard then a layer of thick double cream. Toast a handful of almonds under the grill - watch out though, they only take a minute to toast, and sprinkle over the top. Finis! Parfait!

My variations include a heavier xmas mix using stoned black cherries, granary bread and kirsch with cherry jelly and a lighter raspberry one using finger sponges, Chambord raspberry liqueur and of course raspberry jelly. My other favourite topping is real Angelica which I can never find these days, so I am growing some in the garden and looking for a recipe!


1 comment: